Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1- Kearney Boulevard


I want to start off my 31 Days of Fresno with something that has been one of my favorite things since I was a kid. I freakin' love Kearney Boulevard. As a little girl, it seemed to be the epitome of being a Californian, what says sunshine and glamor more than a street entirely lined with majestic palms? We'd drive to my Great Grandmother's house (now my home) and I'd stare up at these perfectly spaced glamazons, interspersed with oleander and eucalyptus and I knew I was cool. Just real cool.

Kearney Boulevard leads up to Kearney Park from Downtown Fresno, and for about 20 Miles it dots the Fresno skyline with palms until it hits Kerman. Sure its on the West Side, bit I'm on the West Side, too. West side doesn't mean the same thing to me as it does to most Fresnans.

When I learned about M. Theo Kearney and the history behind my favorite street in Fresno, I was drawn in by the romance and glamor of having a REAL socialite, someone who went to only the best spas in Europe and hung out with only the social elite. He saw Fresno as a remarkable place for agriculture and did everything he could (and he was filtystinkinrich, he could do a lot) to make Fresno the capital of agriculture. He was the Prince of Fresno. And he had a Dreamy McDreamerson beard. Slap me with an aristocratic happy stick.

Kearney wasn't just a hunk with a lot of money, though. He was smart too- Smartagious even. Starting from scratch, his main ingredient for wealth was in Raisins. And he didn't stop there- hHe wanted this place that he had decided to live to be the best place to live- especially if you're into agriculture. He left his entire estate to the University of California to benefit agricultural education. Badass.

I'm bummed that Chateau Fresno never was realized. The Mansion is great, but how awesome would that place have been? I almost wonder how Fresno would be different if it had been built? That, my friends is World Class.

I know it goes through a part of town that most people won't even go near, and it has quite a reputation with some of the sites along the way (Running Horse, the whole effing West Side... My house) but its a pretty cool drive on a sunny day, and if you have nothing to do, its nice to put on some community-supported radio, roll the windows down and just drive the whole stretch.

I love you, Kearney Boulevard!

(Photo credit goes to me and my car, driving down Kearney this afternoon. You know you're amazed at my skillzzzzzz. Oh man, I should win like, photographer of the DECADE.)

14 comments:

  1. I'm excited about this little adventure that's beginning here. I live in North Carolina and I'm probably going to be transplanted in Fresno very soon. I'm really looking forward to getting to know some prime spots of Fresno so that I'll have some places to check out. Thanks, and cheers to what's ahead.

    cd

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, now I am officially excited about this project! Great work Kim, I am going to really enjoy checking in everyday throughout January to see what else you come up with. What a great idea...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea Kim...You show those Fresno Naysayers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. excellant!!! I love this idea of yours Kim. Very interesting stuff as well. I have always wanted to know the story of Kearney Boulevard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All right random fatc for the day.........my father was the foreman om the Kearney property fo a few years. My mother ran the boarding house and cooked meals for over 100 men 3x a day .......all while raising 9 kids!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good way to start it off! I think I'll drive down Kearney today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terrific beginning to what promises to be an interesting blog. I love driving down Kearney Boulevard, and I've always loved the art deco gateway where it branches off from Fresno Street.

    http://historicfresno.org/photo/keargate.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, that would have been awesome if the Chateau Fresno got built. I've never seen a artist rendering of it before this post - very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aaahhh Kearney Boulevard. Born and raised on the West Side, right near Chandler Airport. I saw that majestic stretch of palms everyday for 18 years. Brings back all sorts of memories. Thank you. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I drive Kearney Blvd whenever I get a chance when I go between Fresno and Kerman. It's a nice soothing drive compared to the nightmare of Whitesbridge/SR180.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have such happy memories of the Kearney Park area. We used to take Halloween pictures at the mansion, and I always loved the palm trees along Kearney Blvd.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Been trying to like Fresno, so this is good for me to read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete