Tuesday, July 6, 2010

31 Days- Summer Edition: Day 6- KJWL


Okay, so it may not be as cool with my generation as the time I posted about The Evening Eclectic on KFSR, but I can't fight this feeling anymore...

KJWL 99.3 is freakin' awesome.

Sure sometimes you get stuck in a Celine Dion back to back with Barbara Streisand back to back with Linda Ronstadt rut, but holy cow, despite the divas KJWL always delivers a completely Fresno-centric radio experience. Everything about this station is community oriented- one of the perks of being locally owned, no doubt. They host an Art Hop stop every month and give the featured artists and musicians air time, which I think is pretty awesome. (Also awesome is the GIGANTIC mural of Frank Sinatra by their back entrance.)

They have community oriented segments throughout the day like Eye on Education and Valley Jewels to remind us that whether or not we like Michael Bublé, we're all still part of this city together. And don't even get me started on how stinkin' rad Feleena Sutton is. I've had the chance to meet her and she is just so positive and amazing. (And that Bruce guy is pretty cool too...)

KJWL Shares space with KYNO in the middle of Downtown just steps away from the Fulton Mall, and I love them for keeping it Fresno and really making the space they're in a jewel. (Get it? I'm so punny.) Honestly though, I love them for a lot of things.

I'm sure I could say more, but I'm too busy rocking out to Baby by Bobby McFerrin right now. Who else plays that? NO ONE. Case closed.

2 comments:

  1. A community-centric radio station? It's good that you guys get to listen to a cool radio station like that. Some radio stations have some programs where they invite some artists to play live in their station, then play it across the air waves, but it seems that the guys that they invite over there are awesome when I've read this post. I hope I can get to listen to this station soon.

    Danny Riddell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely interested in trying the Batsurma, because who doesn’t like pastrami, or things that taste like it?
      best mexican food fresno

      Delete